Friday, February 9, 2007

Scrantonicity - The Police "Live"

Real quick post in honor of last night’s episode of The Office. The first disc of the Police “Live” CD is a must-have, if you even remotely like the band (the second disc is only so-so). In previous posts, I’ve ranted about what good live music should consist of… suffice to say, this Boston show (from 1979) is one I would’ve killed to attend. A few quick things about why I love the police and why I love this album:

1. Sting – I think I have a total man-crush on him. Aside from being an amazing singer, song-writer, bassist, front man, humanitarian, and activist – he’s a fucking tantric sex god. The man is beyond words… and he’s not even my favorite member of the police.

2. Stewart Copeland – the band’s drummer is easily one of my favorite all-time drummers. The man is a machine. He’s precise and innovative and the backbone of one of the all-time great rock bands. On the live album you can hear what makes him so special – great fills, unique polyrhythmic beats, fantastic snare and hi-hat work, and some awesome ska and reggae inspired rhythms. I saw him perform with Les Claypool and Trey Anastatio, and while the show was kind of weird (what do you expect when Trey is playing a guitar made out of deer antlers?), I felt privileged just to see Copeland live and in person.

3. “EEEYO” – I never really get sick of hearing Sting’s “eeeyos” and “dah-duh-duh-duh’s” and this album is full of them. So definitely check it out… the link is below. Oh, did I mention that Sting is a huge fan of The Office and let us use all his music? Man-crush confirmed.

Live Police

4 comments:

Pree said...

The Police are apparently headlining at Bonnaroo this year, not exactly the venue i'd see them at but that's pretty awesome.

Also, i'm assuming you are completely overwhelmed with the announcement of a tour? It's ok to have a Sting man-crush, the man is indeed a tantric sex god.

Unknown said...

way to fucking give the guitar player whatever his name is some credit. jeezz.

Unknown said...

oh yeah and i had the man crush on him first. say the fuck away from my man or i will let you experience the heaven that is the back of my hand homeboy.

Zidane Cousteau said...

Andy Summers is the guitarist. He's good, but nothing about his playing is especially exciting to me, so I chose not to mention him.